May 4, 2012

11 Years Already?

11 years ago, today, I was a shy 18 year old girl freaking out about being on stage in front of hundreds of people in a swimsuit.  

Got your attention?

May 5, 2002 - Miss Philippines pageant

11 years ago tomorrow, I was a shy 18 year old girl who overcame those nerves and was crowned Miss Philippines - Toronto (PIDC to be exact and the first with that title).
Newly crowned Miss
I am shy.  I have always been shy.  To those of you who know me, I'm not lying ... I may be loud and confident now, but deep down, the girl inside is still shy.  I don't think I'll ever get over that - does anyone?  BUT the important thing is, I got over the nervousness, the stage fright, the idea of having people I know and don't know looking at me.  I got over it, I had too.  Being thrust in the spotlight does that to a person. 
Talent Portion - been dancing
since I was 7
I had no choice and on top of that, I had no formal training.  I was basically called up to stages in front of an intimate gatherings without preparation or knowledge and hoped to the good Lord that everything would go well.  I was told I would be the MAIN master of ceremonies for the largest Filipino festival in Canada without a clue as to how to MC anything!  I was told I had to dance and MC concerts with big name Filipino stars at sold out concerts without a) knowing who they were and b) what I was realllllly suppose to do.  But I did all of these, and more! 

The Q&A Portion aka
Make it or break it
This is what I was scared of...b/c I was shy!

I dove into everything that year head first!  Something scary before, but now, it's what I prefer to do :)   I was told I exceeded expectations and I learned to love everything about what I was doing in the spotlight.  Which is the reason I do what I do now.  Today I'm involved in many organizations as a communications consultant, event coordinator, media liaison, directress, and I'm even a sought out MC!



"And the winner is.....(longest wait ever).....Candidate #3"
To this day, no matter what I find myself getting involved in, I have my one year experience as a pageant contestant and a "Beauty Queen" to thank.  I don't know what type of person I would be today had I not gone through this once in a lifetime process...probably still that shy girl.  It may sound cliche, but it's true!

Rebecka 1st RU, Me Miss, Christie 2nd RU
Both fantastic and beautiful!!!
The organization that I have to give big props too is: Philippine Independence Day Council  http://pidctoronto.com/










The best girls!
During one of our many Monday night practices in Markham
*missing Kim


Awarding Portion...who will it be?
All of these women are beautiful, in and out!



The making of the swimsuit portion... 
  • Practice...I think we spent more time on the swimsuit routine then any other portion of the pageant
  • Pageant night: when it's your turn, take a deep breath, go out on the stage and own it.  Your  personality comes out best in this portion, so have fun!
  • Once everyone has presented themselves, get ready for the "routine".  We did our dance (did I mention we did a dance?) to J-Lo's "Aint it funny"
    • Dance with your partner
    • Dance with everyone
    • Take your sarong off (count to five)
    • all the while SMILING!
    • get off the stage and get ready for the next scary bit, the Q&A portion
Practice, practice, practice

Backstage behind the scenes: last min practice and last min prep

Working it

As much as ladies dread this bit, it was the best bit of the pageant

No comments:

Post a Comment