June 3, 2012

Listen to me, I'm older

Ten years.  That's how long I've been involved in Filipino organizations across Southern Ontario.  Ten years.

During this time I have worked closely with various non-profit Filipino organizations not only in Hamilton but also in Mississauga and in Toronto. My involvement ranged from being the Assistant Public Relations Officer, Master of Ceremonies, Event Producer, Choreographer, Director, and participant.  Throughout the years, as my responsibilities grew so did my passion to make our Filipino culture and heritage known to the mainstream Canadian community...especially to the youth.

Keeping our Filipino culture vivacious with the active participation of our youth is surely a challenge.  What youngster wants to hear an "oldie" (oye, I hope I'm not considered old) talk to them about their culture and why they should be proud to be Filipino?  Why would they want to give up their precious time with an organization (with other oldies) when they can use it hanging with friends or playing on the computer?  Yes, it's surely difficult to try to get youth involvement, but I love the challenge!

Motivating these young individuals to participate in an organization or volunteering during an event is, interesting, to say the least.  I try to be as creative with them as possible; finding ways that will hit directly home to them and hope to say something that will spark an interest.  As many participants I get, after the event, it's 50 / 50 really; some stay, some go.  But the most important thing is, some stay!

Currently I am the Press Relations Officer for the Philippine Canadian Association (PCA).  Through this organization I was able to get involved with a new project called, Fiesta Filipinas.  It's a one day event where various groups come together in a venue in Hamilton and hold a festival showcasing the amazing food, entertainment, art and culture of the Philippines.  The highlight of the Fiesta was a pageant. 

Two years ago I had the pleasure of being the Pageant Director (choreographer, MC etc) for this said pageant, Miss Fiesta Filipinas, where I met seven beautiful and talented candidates as well as entertainers.  In all my years of planning this type of event, I have come across many young women, but from the first meeting, I noticed this group was different.  Not only were they extremely diligent, they were also helpful with giving suggestions and on top of that, two years since the pageant, I can still always count on each and everyone of them to lend a hand during other Filipino community events.

This year, I had an involvement with the same pageant, but my role was slightly less all encompassing and time consuming.  This year I had the pleasure of being just the MC...

Again, I met seven fine young women who are a special group and it is my hope that one day they are going to be great assets to our Filipino community.  These young women  are what the Filipino community needs if we want the organization to strive in the future.  Their fresh ideas, talent, strong sense of community, their enthusiasm and hard working ways lets me know that not only do they enjoy being involved but that they will one day be great leaders.  With their help now and in the future, I am confident that they will impact our organizations' and that their own lives will be impacted by what they learn about those in the community and our beautiful country, the Philippines. 

Yes, I can try to encourage our youth as much as possible but I need YOU to do the same.  Talk to your daughter, son, nephew, niece, or friend to get involved in the PCA or take part in any Filipino group in their community.   We have to try to engage them now so that they can move the Hamilton Filipino community forward.

I look forward to working with people in my generation or younger. Just like me, you will be enriched by the experience and with the promise that you will not regret getting involved.


Ten years...and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment